Michnac scores two in 6-5 win over Storm

The Mississauga Steelheads hosted the Guelph Storm in the first game of a rare double-header for the fish Thursday night. Mississauga was looking to extend their four-game win streak and they did with a 6-5 win.

Guelph stormed the ice in the first period, unwilling to give up the puck and piling on their shots on goal. Barret Kirwin sat for high sticking and gave the Steelheads an early power play just two and a half minutes into the frame. The fish managed only one shot during their man-advantage. Zach Poirier found the back of the net and gave Guelph the lead. Mason Primeau added to their score just two minutes later. Mississauga was trailing 11-4 shots on goal halfway through the period, but Michael Little put them on the board with just under 10 minutes to go. His eighth goal of the season was assisted by Mathieu Foget and Owen Tippett. By the end of the first, the fish were behind by 10 shots on goal and trailed 2-1 on the scoreboard.

The Steelheads started the second period refreshed and determined. The beginning of the frame was spent mainly in Guelph’s zone as the fish upped their shots on goal and closed in on the Storm’s lead. Owen Tippett scored his 21st of the season on a breakaway and tied the game 2-2. Moments later, Albert Michnac was sent to the box for tripping and Guelph took advantage on the power play 15 seconds in – restoring their lead. Michnac retaliated, scoring his 18th of the season to tie it 3-3 with five minutes left to play in the second. Mikey McLeod and Cole Carter picked up the assists. The fish ended the period on the power play with Ryan Merkley in the box for tripping.

The third period was the busiest of them all with a total of five goals. As the Steelheads increased their shots, Albert Michnac, Nic Hague and Nicholas Canade scored three consecutive goals in five minutes. The Storm closed in on Mississauga’s lead with goals from Nate Schnarr and Isaac Ratcliffe around the midway point, but they couldn’t come out on top. Mississauga led the shots on goal 38-37 after 60 minutes and extended their win streak to five games. The Steelheads return to action tomorrow night to host the North Bay Battalion for a 7PM start at the Hershey Centre.

More News
RECAP | Lyszczarczyk's Hat-Trick Propels Trout over North Bay
20 hours ago
Sauga 960 Interview with Steelheads Goaltender Jacob Ingham
2 days ago
2 days ago
RECAP| Steelheads Extend Point Streak With Win over Frontenacs
3 days ago
WEEKEND PREVIEW | Steelheads Gear Up for Family Day Matinee with Two Road Games
4 days ago
RECAP | Steelheads fall to Bulldogs in Shootout
5 days ago