Steelheads even series 1-1

After a game one loss, which saw the Steelheads only score 2 goals of 52 shots, Mississauga had to find a way to beat Generals’ goaltender, Jeremy Brodeur in game two. Matthew Mancina once again got the start in net for the Steelheads.

Both teams came out for the first period with a lot of speed. Oshawa opened up the scoring with a goal from Renars Krastenbergs. The Steelheads quickly answered back with a goal of their own from Ryan McLeod, his first of the postseason. Mississauga followed up with another two goals in the period from Trent Fox and Owen Tippett. Even though the Steelheads were able to find a way to beat Brodeur, the Generals goaltender still made some huge saves to keep the Steelheads lead at two going into the second period.

The Generals came out flying in the second period looking to cut the deficit. Just over four minutes into the middle frame, Domenic Commisso scored for the Generals to cut the Steelheads’ lead to one. Just past the halfway point of the period, Jacob Cascagnette scored for the Trout to regain the two-goal lead. Eric Henderson responded for Oshawa, pushing the lead back down to one. With less than two minutes to go in the second frame, Spencer Watson deflected a Nic Hague shot past Brodeur to once again restore a two-goal cushion heading into the third and final period.

The Steelheads knew the Generals would be giving it all they had in the last frame, so they came together to shut them down defensively. Five minutes into the period, Brendan Harrogate scored his first of the playoffs, batting in his own rebound to give the Steelheads a 6-3 lead. The Generals were firing all they had on net, but Matthew Mancina and the Mississauga defense continued to play terrifically. With one minute left in the game, Matthew Titus scored his first career playoff goal to solidify the Steelheads victory. The final buzzer would sound and the Steelheads win by a final score of 7-3.

The series now heads to Oshawa for games three, four and five with the series tied at one. Game three takes place on Tuesday, April 11th. Puck drops at 7pm.

Series tied 1-1.


More News
OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week: Owen Tippett
16 hours ago
Tippett picks up 4 points in 5-3 win over Wolves
2 days ago
3 days ago
3 point night for Tippett, Lyszczarczyk and Whittaker as Steelheads defeat Fronts 5-1
3 days ago
WEEKEND PREVIEW | Steelheads visit Fronts before hosting Wolves on Sunday
5 days ago
Harley, Washkurak & Schwindt Among OHL Players to Watch for 2019 NHL Draft
5 days ago