Steelheads fall 4-2 to Guelph

Coming off a 5-2 win over the Guelph Storm on September 3, the Steelheads took to the ice Friday night to host the Storm at Port Credit Memorial Arena in their third game of the preseason. Steelheads’ forwards Michael Little and Sam Meisenheimer picked up two goals apiece in their last meeting with the Storm while Michael Stubbs added the insurance goal. Heading into tonight’s contest, the Steelheads sit 1-1 while the Storm are 1-2.

The Storm got things going early in the opening frame as Danill Chayka notched his second of the postseason just 58 seconds in from Tag Bertuzzi. The Storm held a 1-0 lead heading into the first intermission.

Another quick goal gave the visiting Storm a 2-0 lead over the Steelheads. Barret Kirwin put one past Joe Ranger from Chayka and Bertuzzi. That was the lone goal of the period as the Storm held their 2-0 lead heading into the final frame.

Midway through the third, Zach Poirier gave the Storm some extra cushion, netting his first of the postseason to put Guelph up 3-0. The Steelheads continued to push and it paid off as Filip Reisnecker got the Steelheads on the board with his first of the preseason. Cole Carter and Ryan Wells picked up the assists on the goal. Seconds later, Carter and Reisnecker connected again to bring the Steelheads within two. Michael Little picked up the secondary assist on Reisnecker’s second of the night. Although the Steelheads closed the gap, it wasn’t enough as they fell just short in a 4-2 final.

The Steelheads will close out the preseason tomorrow in Ajax as they take on the Oshawa Generals at the Ajax Community Centre.

More News
RECAP | Lyszczarczyk's Hat-Trick Propels Trout over North Bay
18 hours ago
Sauga 960 Interview with Steelheads Goaltender Jacob Ingham
2 days ago
2 days ago
RECAP| Steelheads Extend Point Streak With Win over Frontenacs
3 days ago
WEEKEND PREVIEW | Steelheads Gear Up for Family Day Matinee with Two Road Games
4 days ago
RECAP | Steelheads fall to Bulldogs in Shootout
5 days ago