Steelheads outshoot Generals, fall 3-2

After coming out of the first round of the OHL Playoffs in six games, both the Mississauga Steelheads and the Oshawa Generals looked to continue to carry that momentum into the Eastern Conference Semifinal. This is the first time in Steelheads franchise history they have made it into the second round of the playoffs. In net for the Steelheads was Matthew Mancina who is made his first postseason start for the Trout. In between the pipes for the Generals was Jeremy Brodeur, son of ex-NHL goalie, Martin Brodeur.

Early on in the first, both teams exchanged great scoring chances. The Generals were able to capitalize on one of those chances on a powerplay with a goal from Joe Manchurek to give them an early 1-0 lead. Just over three minutes later, Jack Studnicka added to Oshawa’s lead. The Steelheads continued to fire pucks at the net but Brodeur was making some big saves to maintain the Generals’ lead. After the first period, the Generals led, 2-0.

The Steelheads came out for the second period ready to go. The home team dominated the Generals at both ends of the ice all period. The Steelheads outshot the Generals 21-6 in the frame, but still had trouble getting anything past Brodeur. At the 12:57 into the period, the Steelheads were awarded a  powerplay and Vili Saarijarvi tee’d up a slap shot from the point that beat Brodeur. Oshawa responded with a powerplay chance of their own and try to regain their two-goal lead. Riley Stillman had a breakaway and ran over Mancina and into the net. The call on the ice was no goal, but after further review the puck crossed the line before the net coming off, so the call was overturned. The Steelheads would head to the dressing room frustrated and trailing, 3-1.

The third period once again started off strong for the Steelheads. 2:40 into the period, the Steelheads get a chance on the powerplay. Jacob Cascagnette capitalized to cut their deficit back down to one. Mississauga continued to pepper everything they had on Jeremy Brodeur, but he kept shutting them down. The Steelheads once again drastically outshot the Generals in the period, now by a difference of 19-4. In the dying minutes of the game and with the Steelheads’ net empty, they had one final chance tie up the game. They had no luck beating Brodeur who closed the door one last time. The Generals edged the Steelheads by a final score of 3-2.

Game two takes place Sunday, April 9th back at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga. Puck drops at 2pm!

Oshawa leads the series 1-0.


More News
Future Fish Friday: Rylan Bowers
6 days ago
OHL 20 in 20 Futures Watch: Mississauga Steelheads
7 days ago
Future Fish Friday: Anthony Lamanna
2 weeks ago
Ryan McLeod and Owen Tippett Among 16 OHL players invited to Hockey Canada's World Junior Showcase
2 weeks ago
Steelheads Announce New Additions to Hockey Operations Staff
3 weeks ago
Future Fish Friday: Joe Ranger
3 weeks ago