Hague scores two in big win over Colts

After coming off a tough loss in Hamilton against the Bulldogs, the Mississauga Steelheads were looking for a big win Friday night against the Barrie Colts. Barrie was looking to extend their three-game win streak, but had it snapped instead.

Mississauga was slow moving at the beginning of the first and spent a lot of time in their own zone. Barrie came out strong and ready to dominate. The Colts took an early lead in shots on goal and didn’t allow the Steelheads an attempt until four minutes into the frame. At the halfway point, Barrie was shooting twice as much as Mississauga was. At 11:14, Andrei Svechnikov scored his 30th of the season with help from Lucas Chiodo and Barrie took the lead. Six minutes later, Nic Hague ted the game on the power play as Barrie’s Justin Murray sat for cross checking. Fired up, Nic Hague found the back of the net again with just seven seconds left to play. The fish trailed 18-15 in shots on goal but led the game 2-1.

The Steelheads had the puck in Barrie’s zone for a good chunk of the second period and quickly climbed in shots on goal, but Lucas Chiodo was the first to score and he tied the game 2-2. The Steelheads got an early power play opportunity when Ryan Suzuki was sent to the box for cross checking, but they couldn’t find the net until about eight minutes later. Bert Michnac got one past Leo Lazarev and the fish were back on top. Reagan O’Grady was caught tripping and lost the Steelheads a man, followed by Michnac when the fish had too many men on the ice. Mathieu Foget scored his 15th of the season on the penalty kill and increased Mississauga’s lead. The period ended with Trent Fox in the box for blindsiding but the fish sat comfortably at 4-2.

The third period started as a means for the Steelheads to secure a win. Owen Tippett scored Mississauga’s fifth on a breakaway, assisted by Bert Michnac. Ben Hawerchuk gave the Steelheads yet another power play opportunity with a cross check that sent Nic Hague across the ice. It was the Colts that saw action, though, as Jaden Peca scored a shorthanded goal to up the score to 5-3. That was closely followed by Lucas Chiodo and it seemed the Colts were coming back. With Mississauga still in the lead, Barrie pulled Leo Lazarev from the net to get an extra man on the ice. Mathieu Foget scored an empty-netter with under two minutes left to play and the Steelheads took it 6-4.

Mississauga is back in action Sunday in Erie to face the Otters.

More News
Steelheads Announce Details on Home Exhibition Schedule
2 weeks ago
Steelheads Release Individual Tickets, Ticket Offers and Promotional Schedule
2 weeks ago
Taylor Pendrith Wins 1932byBateman Open
3 weeks ago
Hockey Operations Staff Member Gets New Opportunity With NHL Club
1 month ago
Pendrith Records His Best 2019 Result With Second Place Finish
1 month ago
Future Fish Friday: Luca Del Bel Belluz
1 month ago