SmartStop Post-Game Recap – A Close One

It was an exciting and physical game against the Guelph Storm to start the pre-season, but ultimately the Steelheads fell 2-1.

First Period

For the first time since September 2021, the Mississauga Steelheads took on the Guelph Storm for some pre-season action at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre. It was also a historic night, as Lacey Senuk became the first female to referee a game in the OHL. 

It was a physical game from the moment the puck dropped, and just 57 seconds in, Charlie Callaghan took a penalty for boarding. It didn’t take long for Guelph to capitalize on the man advantage, with Cam Allen scoring 15 seconds into the power play. Jett Luchanko and Payton Robinson earned the assists. 

The game continued to be both fast-paced and physical, with both teams giving it their all to start the pre-season. After shaking off the first goal, Ryerson Leenders looked solid in between the pipes to stop all remaining shots he faced in the frame.

The best chance for the Trout came with just over three minutes remaining, as Guelph goaltender Dixon Grimes faced a flurry of shots before the net popped off to stop the play. As the Steelheads continued to turn up the pressure, it looked as if they finally scored a goal. However, the puck crossed the line just after the whistle was blown and no goal was awarded, keeping it a 1-0 game for the Storm after twenty minutes of play.

Shots: 5 MISS/9 GUE

Second Period

The second period continued to be as physical as the first, with each team receiving several penalties and laying big hits over the twenty minutes. Both goalies continued to stand strong in net, making it difficult for the players on either end of the ice.

The Trout and the Storm played hard to get a puck in the back of the net, but it took almost the full period to get it done. Right as the frame was winding down, Zander Veccia broke into the Guelph zone to put one past Grimes as he went flying towards the net to tie the game. Callaghan received the lone assist.

Shots: 9 MISS/6 GUE

Third Period

The Steelheads made a goaltending change to start the third, putting Chazz Nixon in net, who came up with a few big saves to keep the score even. 

With under 11 minutes remaining in the period, the Steelheads got their best chance of the game as Luke Misa took a hard shot that rung off the post. The team had several other opportunities but couldn’t put one past Grimes. 

A few minutes later, the Storm upped the pressure and it paid off, as Charlie Paquette scored the game winning goal at the 12:46 mark. Robinson and Gavin Grundner were credited with the assists, giving Robinson his second point of the night.

With Nixon pulled, the Trout pushed hard to even the score, but could not get the puck past Grimes dropping a close game 2-1. 

Shots: 7 MISS/7 GUE

Final Shots: 21 MISS/22 GUE

Three Stars:

  1. Zander Veccia (1G)
  2. Payton Robinson (2A)
  3. Charlie Callaghan (1A)

The Steelheads will be back in action tomorrow night against the Guelph Storm as they face off at the Sleeman Centre. 

More News
SmartStop Post-Game Recap - The Win Streak Continues
7 hours ago
SOTI Weekend Preview - Continuing the Home Stand
3 days ago
3 days ago
Steelheads' James Hardie named Cogeco OHL Player of the Week
5 days ago
Jan. 22/23 - NIAG(4) - MISS(5)
6 days ago
SmartStop Post-Game Recap - 3 Wins in a Row
6 days ago