SmartStop Recap – Steelheads Sharp in Overtime Loss

Sudbury, ON – The Mississauga Steelheads kicked off the month of December by taking on the Sudbury Wolves on Sunday afternoon. The Fish arrived in Sudbury coming off a big win against the Oshawa Generals, where Keean Washkurak tied a career high in points in a game with four (1G, 3A).

Sudbury had the first powerplay opportunity in the game, with Mississauga taking an early tripping penalty, but the Steelheads allowed just one shot on goal during the minor. The Wolves opened the scoring, as Quinton Byfield finished a 3-on-2 to give Sudbury a 1-0 lead. Calvin Martin answered back quickly for the Fish, whacking home a blocked shot from William Portokalis to tie the game at one. Aidan Prueter gave the Steelheads the lead, as he picked up the rebound on a shot from Thomas Harley. The Steelheads took a two-goal lead, as Cole Schwindt made a pass to himself off the skate of Kalle Loponen before going forehand-backhand past Christian Purboo.

The goals kept coming in the first period, as a Sudbury shot on goal redirected off Joe Rangers skate before finding its way in the back of the net. Mississauga regained their two-goal lead, with Aidan Prueter scoring his second of the game as his shot redirected straight up in the air and bounced behind Purboo into the net. The Steelheads had a 4-2 at the end of a high scoring first period, while also outshooting Sudbury 16-11.

Sudbury made a goaltending change to start the second period, with Mitchell Weeks coming into the game to replace Purboo. Both teams traded powerplays in the first half of the second period, but in a change of pace, neither team was able to score. The Wolves cut the Steelheads lead to one goal near the end of the period, as a giveaway in the neutral zone led to a 2-on-1 that was finished by Liam Ross. The second period was the story of Joe Ranger, who stopped 17/18 shots on goal from Sudbury, as the Steelheads headed to the intermission with a 4-3 lead.

The Wolves tied the game at four midway through the period, as Ranger made a fabulous save on Blake Murray all alone, but Byfield was there to put away the rebound. It was Ranger again with thirty seconds left in the period, who made a spectacular glove save on Shane Bulitka to keep the game tied. At the end of the third period, Sudbury was outshooting Mississauga 42-33, but the score was tied at four so the teams headed to overtime. Quinton Byfield scored thirty seconds into the overtime period to record a hat-trick, as the Steelheads fell to the Wolves by a final of 5-4.

Thomas Harley recorded his 100th career OHL point with aΒ 2 points (2A) in the contest, while Aidan Prueter added two goals. Joe Ranger was sharp in the contest, recording 38 saves.

Sudbury Wolves
Murray – Byfield – Robinson
Bulitka – Levin – Stillman
Ross – Carson – Hutcheson
Ribau – McCallum – Larmand

Phillips – Serensits
Samuelsson – Loponen
Stratis – Thompson


Mississauga Steelheads
Prueter – Washkurak – Hardie
Collins – Schwindt – Whittaker
Isaacson – Portokalis – Martin
DelBelBelluz – Dodig

Ham – Harley
Bjorgvik Holm – Del Mastro
Penman – Callaghan/Sharpe


The Steelheads will return to the Paramount Fine Foods Centre on Friday, December 6th to take on Arthur Kaliyev and the Hamilton Bulldogs. Β Tickets to the game can be purchased by visiting the Box Office, online through or by calling 905-502-9100.

More News
Statement on Behalf of the Hockey Club
1 day ago
Harley Named to OHL Second All-Star Team
6 days ago
Del Mastro Recognized for Academic Excellence
3 weeks ago
Veccia Commits to Steelheads
4 weeks ago
Design Kai's Mask - Colouring Contest NOW OPEN
4 weeks ago
Steelheads Receive Commitment from Carson Christy
4 weeks ago