Steelheads beat Storm as Carter Scores Three

The Steelheads rolled in to Guelph to face off against the Storm. Mississauga was coming off a 4-0 win against the Niagara IceDogs and were looking to ride that momentum into Sunday afternoon. The Storm were looking for redemption after losing 5-3 to Barrie on Saturday night.

The first period saw the Steelheads and Storm trading shots, but Mississauga scored first, thanks to Cole Carter’s 18th goal of the season. Carter tapped one in on an open net off a Trent Fox pass, only four minutes and 24 seconds into the frame. Guelph evened things up less than three minutes later, when Mark Shoemaker tallied his first goal of the season on an unassisted shot. The lead didn’t last long, as Carter notched his second of the game with a beautiful snipe to make it 2-1 with 9:25 left to play. Shots at the end of the first were 10-7 in favour of Mississauga.

Mississauga kept the momentum rolling into the second, especially Carter, who completed his hat trick only 27 seconds into the frame, giving the Steelheads a 3-1 lead. Just over a minute later, the Trout were granted the first power play of the game, when Dmitri Samurokov was handed a match-slew foot, resulting a five minute major penalty. Mississauga fired shots at goaltender Anthony Popovich, but did not score on the man-advantage. Eight minutes later, the Steelheads extended their lead to three goals, thanks to Owen Tippett’s top shelf shot. Trent Fox joined in on the scoring, tallying his 19th of the season and making it 5-1. Guelph was awarded a power play with less than 30 seconds to play in the frame when Regan O’Grady was called for slashing. Mississsauga lead the Storm in shots, 31 to 10.

The Steelheads were on the penalty kill to start off the the third period, but the Storm were unable to capitalize on the man-advantage, keeping the score 5-1. Guelph scored a goal of their own, on a Zach Poirier shot, giving him his sixth of the season and cutting Mississauga’s lead 5-2. The Steelheads had a power play opportunity when Mason Primeau was handed an instigation penalty after fighting with Mason Hardy, but Mississauga was not able to convert on the ensuing power play. The final buzzer sounded, giving the Steelheads their 28th victory of the season. Final shots were 40 for Mississauga and 20 for Guelph.

Mississauga will be back in action on Wednesday, February 28th against the Oshawa Generals, looking for their 4th straight win.

More News
Hockey Operations Staff Member Gets New Opportunity With NHL Club
4 days ago
Pendrith Records His Best 2019 Result With Second Place Finish
5 days ago
Future Fish Friday: Luca Del Bel Belluz
1 week ago
Holm Commits to Steelheads
2 weeks ago
Cole Schwindt Season in Review
2 weeks ago
Steelheads Sign Goaltender Dilauro
3 weeks ago