RECAP l Steelheads top Storm 4-1 on School Day

The Steelheads were back home this afternoon following a weekend road trip to Michigan to take on the Saginaw Spirit and Flint Firebirds.  Splitting their road games 1-1, the Steelheads were looking to make it two wins in a row in their afternoon school day game against the Guelph Storm. Shaking off that early morning rust, both teams came out with a lot of energy. There were scoring chances on each end of the ice. The Storm had a few chances, including a breakaway, but Jacob Ingham came up with some big stops. The Steelheads had a few partial breakaways and a two-on-one chances themselves, but Guelph netminder Anthony Popovich was able to shut the door to keep the Trout off the board. Late in the frame, the Steelheads shifted the momentum in their favour as Michael Little notched the opening goal seconds after a Guelph penalty expired. Richard Whittaker assisted on Little’s sixth of the season and the Steelheads held a 1-0 lead heading into the first intermission.

The Steelheads were given an early advantage as they started the second period on the power play. Although the Steelheads couldn’t convert, they were able to keep the pressure in Guelph’s zone for the first five minutes of the frame. Guelph’s goalie had to be sharp as the Steelheads kept the scoring chances coming with back-to-back power plays. Not able to score on the first four power plays of the game, Owen Tippett was finally able to beat Popovich on their fifth power play. Tippett’s 12th goal of the season put the Steelheads up 2-0. As the period started to wind down, the Storm were able to get on the board with a shot from Danill Chayka beating a screened Ingham. Guelph were able to put together a few more scoring chances, but Ingham was looking sharp and kept the Steelheads up 2-1 at the end of the period.

The third frame was when the Steelheads were able to take control of the game. Spending most of their time in the offensive zone, the Steelheads were peppering Guelph’s goalie Popovich with shots. 5 minutes into the frame, captain Cole Carter’s 18th goal of the season gave the Steelheads the insurance goal they were looking for. Not even two minutes later, the Steelheads’ newest addition Alan Lyszczarczyk kept his hot streak going with a snipe from the slot to give the Steelheads the three goal lead. Ingham stood tall for the remainder of the period and the Steelheads came out on top 4-1.

The Steelheads are back at home on Sunday November 18th when they take on the Sudbury Wolves at 2:00 pm. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster.

More News
Teachers Life Academic Spotlight: Ethan Del Mastro
4 days ago
Bait Shop Black Friday Sale
1 week ago
CHL Launches Premiere Memorial eCup Presented by Kia
2 weeks ago
Teachers Life Academic Spotlight: Thomas Harley
2 weeks ago
OHL Announces Updated Timeline for 2020-21 Season
1 month ago
Harley & Schwindt Invited to WJT Selection Camp
1 month ago