Windsor ups Steelheads 4-1

After having a few days off, the Mississauga Steelheads returned to action Friday night to host the Windsor Spitfires. The first frame saw fast paced action back and forth between the Steelheads and Spitfires, with a number of heavy hits being traded. After a huge hit just minutes into the period, Luke Boka was taken off the ice to be checked out. He would return two minutes later and seemed to be alright as he made his way to the bench. Steelheads’ forwards had several great attacks including a block and drive from Damian Bourne, that gave Mississauga it’s best chance of the period. Ryan McLeod, Owen Tippett and Brendan Harrogate all had shots on goal that were saved by Spitfires’ goalie, Mario Culina. But a series of back-to-back penalties saw Windsor close out the period 3-0. Windsor’s first goal came on the power play following a tripping penalty from Shaw Boomhower. Logan Brown and Jalen Chatfield set up Cole Purboo who found the back of the net against Steelheads starting goalie, Matthew Mancina. Windsor’s second goal, eight seconds later off a holding penalty from Stefan LeBlanc, saw Aaron Luchuk and Logan Brown set up Cole Carter with a tap in. The Spitfires capitalized again on the power play on a goal from Aaron Luchuk, assisted by Cole Carter and Logan Brown, to put Windsor up 3-0 heading into the first intermission.

The second period saw an explosive start as once again both teams were set on knocking shoulder pads. At 2:24, Shaw Boomhower conceded a penalty that opened the door for Windsor’s fourth goal. Assisted by Logan Brown and Austin McEneny, Cole Carter netted his second of the game. Redeeming himself from the earlier penalty, Boomhower scored his first OHL goal, assisted by Dickerson and Scoley Dow.  Although that helped light a fire under the Steelheads, that would eventually be the final goal of the game.

Mississauga started the period with a 4-on-4 that quickly became a 5-on-4 from the leftover five-minute major. Another huge hit from Windsor sent Cristiano Digiacinto out of the game as he cross checked Owen Tippett from behind. Stefan LeBlanc was also sent to the box after he came in swinging in Tippett’s defence. Dickerson closed out this game with a great final chance on net, that was ultimately denied by Culina.

The Mississauga Steelheads are back in action this Sunday against North Bay Battalion at 2pm. Be sure to follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, to keep up with everything Steelheads.

More News
Bait Shop Black Friday Sale
5 days ago
CHL Launches Premiere Memorial eCup Presented by Kia
1 week ago
Teachers Life Academic Spotlight: Thomas Harley
2 weeks ago
OHL Announces Updated Timeline for 2020-21 Season
1 month ago
Harley & Schwindt Invited to WJT Selection Camp
1 month ago
Kia Alumni Spotlight: Mitchell Theoret
2 months ago